Monday, July 21, 2014

homemade mango and nectarine lemonade


I posted recently about how I'm loving iced drinks recently - particularly last week when I was reaching near critical temperature in the humidity - and I've found a new one to add to my repertoire.
I came across this recipe for peach lemonade in a Waitrose magazine last Thursday and thought I wanted to try it straight away. I love anything lemon flavoured, to the point where it's starting to become a problem because I can literally drink straight lemon juice and it's doing bad things to my stomach... that is not why we're here, though! 
Anyway, it came down to the fact I had no peaches in the house, but I did have some very over-ripe nectarines and a mango that was a bit past it's best. So I went with it... and I am glad that I did. It's so amazing, I thought I'd repost the recipe with my alterations on here, because I made slightly differently.
YOU'LL NEED:
- 1 ripe mango, stoned
- 4-5 ripe nectarines, stoned
- 8 tablespoons of sugar
- 6 unwaxed lemons
- 500ml of boiling water
- 1-2 litres of sparkling water
- Ice and mint, if you're feeling particularly fancy, to serve

STEPS:
1. In a food processor or blender blitz the flesh of the fruit  (with or without skin, it doesn't matter) to a puree, as fine as you can get it.
2. Using a vegetable peeler, peel 6 the lemons - try not to get too much of the white bit, as this tastes bitter. Place in a Pyrex/heatproof jug, along with the juice from all six of the lemons.
3. Add the sugar to the jug, and pour over the 500ml of boiling water. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
4. Add the fruit puree to the sugar and water combination (you may want to put both in a bigger bowl, I did). Leave to cool down at room temperature.
5. When cool, strain the mixture through a sieve.  Pour into glasses or a single large jug, and add sparkling water to taste. I kept the puree in a separate from the sparkling water, until I wanted to use it, so it wouldn't go flat. 
It tastes really amazing, I highly recommend trying it if you like fruity drinks - I used a lot more lemon than it calls for because of the aforementioned reasons, but you may want to go with the original recipe if you like things sweeter.
Let me know if you try this out...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2