Wednesday, July 30, 2014

lemon curd recipe


Me and my friend Amy have an ongoing love affair with lemon curd - she makes the most amazing lemon meringue pie with it, and it's what she often makes when we have lunches and things together. I was thinking recently that I've never actually made it myself. I remember my grandma used to make jars of it when I was little and I never liked it - for reasons I can't really understand why, now. The smell really reminds me of her house and her baking little lemon tarts. My friend Amy is moving out soon anywhere, and I've made her a few little treats for when she does, but I really want to make her some lemon curd, too, so I thought I would give it a trial run. 
The recipe I used was Nigel Slaters (always a favourite!) and I copied it pretty much verbatim, but I'll repost it here anywhere, for ease.
YOU'LL NEED:
- 4 unwaxed lemons, zested and juiced
- 200g sugar
- 100g butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk

STEPS:
1. Put the lemon zest, juice, sugar and butter (cut into cubes) into a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water.
2. Stir with a whisk from time to time until the butter has melted.
3. Mix the eggs and egg-yolk lightly with a fork, then stir into the lemon mixture.
4. Let the curd cook, stirring regularly for about 10 minutes, until it is thick and custard-like.
5. Remove from the heat and stir occasionally as it cools.
6. Pour into sterilised jars and seal.
There you go, it's pretty simple, but it tastes absolutely amazing. Great for making lemon drizzle cakes, lemon cupcakes, meringue pies or just eating out of the jar with a spoon when you're craving something sugary. Not that I do the last one. Nope. Not at all. 
Please let me know if you try this out, and please show me the photographs!

4 comments:

  1. That looks Delicious. I'm definitely trying this out. Great post and keep up the good work.

    LEJA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, let me know if you do try it out! x

      Delete
  2. I LOVE lemon curd! I haven't actually had it in so long, you've got me craving it!

    Hayley-Eszti
    www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was literally eating it out the jar it was that good, if I do say so myself! x

      Delete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2