Wednesday, September 03, 2014

diy coconut + sea salt foot scrub


I pretty much live in boots for ten months of the year, and then panic when it gets too hot to wear them - I'm not big into other kinds of shoes. So when I recently purchased some shiny new Birkenstock sandals earlier in the summer, and have been wearing them religiously, I knew I needed to do something about my feet. After wearing them for about a month solid, complete with trips to the lake, long walks around the local nature reserve and getting bit to pieces at the allotment - it has led to some, well, less than pretty feet. I got through the end of my Soap & Glory scrub (which I do not recommend, really) and thought I would try and make one, as scrubs are pretty easy to mix together (this took less than five minutes, pretty much).
YOU'LL NEED:
- Sea-salt (or sugar, if you want a gentler scrub that can be used all over the body).
- Coconut oil (liquid).
- Vitamin E oil.
- Tangerine essential oil (this mostly for scent, so pick whatever you like, or you can leave out if you are sensitive to essential oils).
- Jar or container to put it in, I used a little Kilner jar I had lying around.

STEPS:
1. Fill the container one third full with the coconut oil.
2. Add in about a tablespoon of Vitamin E oil and a few drops of the tangerine essential oil.
3. Mix in sea-salt gradually until the jar is about two thirds full.
4. If necessary, add a bit more coconut oil to the mixture. You want to saturate the salt with the oil. You can also add more essential oil at this step, if you think it needs it.
As you can see, it's like the least complicated thing to make, ever. It's basically just stick everything in a jar, and mix it. You can adjust the ingredients to whatever you like, personally. You can switch out the coconut oil if you don't like it, and use something else instead - similarly you can use whatever oils you want that you personally like. I had some leftover tangerine essential oil from something else, so I added that in, but if you really love rose or lavender, put that in.
I really love using this in the bath, because it sinks into the skin really well, and you're left with lovely, soft skin afterwards.
Let me know if you try this out! I'd love to hear if you make your own foot or body scrubs, as I'm getting to the end of this jar, and I want to try out something new... 

6 comments:

  1. The idea of a salty, coconutty foot scrub with a citrus zing fills me with unbridled delight! I want to put it on my feet right now (and I also kind of want to eat it???) This is a great little DIY and the photos are lovely too!

    Owl Girl | A London lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is it literally does smell good enough to eat! Thanks for reading, let me know if you try it out! (:

      Delete
  2. This sounds heavenly! Definitely going to bookmark it for future reference :) x

    Brenda | www.brendabusybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow I'm glad you like it, definitely let me know if you give it a whirl (: x

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh this sounds so good. Pinning for sure!

    I'm from twitter, I'm now following on bloglovin!
    doitfortheirony.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank-you for the follow! I definitely have quite a few DIY's on my pinterest too, haha (: x

      Delete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2