Thursday, September 25, 2014

hello autumn + seasonal recipe round-up!

  • Cinnamon buns: Anything with cinnamon in, I associate with the colder months, these look like they'd be amazing with some icing...
  • Apple caramels: I don't really ever attempt making sweets, but I'd give it a go for these caramels.
  • Honeycomb: Somehow I've made it to twenty-four and never made honeycomb in my life - this year I will rectify that! I really want to make it and dip it in chocolate, though.
  • Pumpkin + Onion tart: I'm not really one for making savoury food, I usually leave that to my mother, but this in the Waitrose magazine caught my eye and there is a squash I've got my eye on in the kitchen that I think would taste pretty great done like this. I also found one with Goat's cheese, which, yes please.
  • Butternut Squash + Sage pizza: Sage always feel a little wintry, and squashes are in season, so this is definitely on the list.
  • Sweet potato + Coconut soup: I don't know the exact recipe, because my mum doesn't write these things down, but she always makes a stunning Sweet potato and coconut soup. She'll make a giant vat of the stuff and I'll live off it for days, until I'm sick of it, but I'll still be begging her to make it in a weeks time.
  • Red wine poached pears: These are something I always associate with 'grown-up' dinners as a kid, I'm not sure why. Since they did those pear-things on the Bake-off, I've been craving poached pears.
  • Damson gin: I found a bunch of damsons right before we left the allotment, they're in the freezer waiting for something to be done with them - I'm considering gin as an option. 
  • Blackberry crumb bars: I'm still not really over my all-day-blackberry phase, but I'm getting there.
  • Cinnamon latte: Basically, cinnamon. All day, every day.  
  • Chai Spiced Apple Cake: Apple in cakes can sometimes make them a little soggy, but I'm willing to attempt it for these.
  • Upside Down Plum Cake: Likewise, for the upside down plum cake.

  • Bonfire toffee: This looks like it could chip a tooth, but I want to try it so much.
  • Sticky Yorkshire Parkin: Parkin is the closest thing I can find to my Grandma's sticky ginger cake, we make huge batches of it every year, it's amazing fresh from the oven with cream or custard, but great cold with a cup of coffee, too.
  • Toffee apples: Waitrose had a great recipe for some, where you mix some nuts and berries into the toffee, I think they look amazing.. 
Now I know that these aren't necessarily using 'seasonal' vegetables, but these are the kind of things I just want to make heaps off when the weather turns colder... Don't you? What are some of your favourites? Share in the comments below!

(Image credits in the links provided.)

6 comments:

  1. I'm not even going to lie, each one of those photos look sooo good! I love a good toffee apple, you can't let autumn go past without making these, right?

    Emma | The Fashion Six

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm this all looks so delicious!! Winter food is my favourite - nice and comforting :) Gisforgingers xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made toffee apples in years, but I'm definitely going to try and make some this year! Gonna make some 'grown-up' ones and put some nuts in the toffee, I think! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what I love about winter - really good hearty food that makes you feel better on a cold afternoon! So good. I also love spicy treats like cake and puds!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2