Wednesday, November 12, 2014

a day at the sea - milford-on-sea + lymington (part two)


On Monday I shared with you guys some photos of my recent outing to Milford-on-Sea, in the New Forest, where I went to spend the day with my mum for her birthday. She just want to be by the seaside, and who can blame her really, when the weather turned out to be absolutely amazing by the end of the day. The grey skies cleared and the clouds that were skidding across the sky passed over, and we got the most amazing sun and the temperature really picked up. 


The spit of land in front of you in the photos actually leads out to Hurst Castle, and in the distance is the Isle of Wight. The castle is apparently an old fortress of Henry VIII, and you can read more about that here, but it's somewhere I'd really love to visit. Maybe in the new year it's something I can do, because it'd be really cool to walk along the shingle spit to the castle. Apparently it is prone to erosion, and some of the rocks have come all the way from Norway to stabilise the land there between the solent and the saltmarshes. 


Then as we were leaving, the sun seemed to know it, as the closer we go to the car, the sun drifted back behind the clouds and it was transformed back to the regular grey clouds we were used to. It feels like somewhere really old, and I'm not just saying that in my overly romantic ways, but it feels like a place that will just go on existing long after we're gone, with the same noise of the water lapping in the seaweed, the noise of birds coming in to land on the water and wind in the grasses going on forever.
Okay, so I am being overly sentimental and romantic, but it's a really interesting place that I had no idea existed, and I really want to explore more of..
Let me know in the comments if you've been somewhere similar, particularly if you're in the UK, because I love finding places that I've never been to before, like undiscovered little gems (in my eyes at least.)

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a lovely place! Glad you got some good weather for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved both these posts, Clare, such beautiful photos.
    It's so good that you're so close by at it means I can get to so many of the places you post about rather than just day-dreaming about them. I think Milford-on-Sea, along with Virginia Water, is definitely on my list of places to see, not when the weather's quite so rotten though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures. I'm from the UK, but to be honest, I don't think I see enough of what there is to see, I definitely will be seeing more this year :)
    I nominated you for the Liebster award, you can see your nomination here https://procaffinating.wordpress.com/2015/02/03/liebster-award/#more-243 :)

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and receiving them, and I will always reply to them, even if it takes me a little while, please be patient!

UA-21892945-2